1. Join AAEM, EMRA, and ACEP. Free or very inexpensive for medical students.
2. Go to the annual meetings. AAEM is this Feb, 2013 and in Las Vegas. ACEP is this Oct. 2013 and in Seattle. Attend the medical student components of both conferences.
3. Get honors in your emergency medicine clerkship.
4. If you are committed to one program, do an away rotation there.
5. Check out www.freeemergencytalks.net and listen to these 3 lectures to start:
6. Go to ACEP's leadership & advocacy conference in May 2013. http://www.acep.org/LACHome.aspx?MeetingId=LAC
7. Score well on Step 1.
8. Get a strong letter of reference from at least one emergency physician.
9. Identify a niche in EM (Ultrasound, EMS, Pediatrics, Hyperbaric, EKGs, Social Media)
10. Seek balance in career, life, health, family, and fun.
What tips do you have?