1. Save more than 20% of your income.
2. Have cash reserves for six months of expenses.
3. Automatically have savings deducted from check.
4. Take full advantage of employer's financial benefits, i.e. retirement, child care, advanced education, etc.
5. Max out your 401K, Roth IRA, or other retirement plan.
6. Review insurance policies (malpractice, disability and life insurance.)
7. Create an investment strategy based upon income, age, and risk tolerance.
8. Start an education plan for your children (529 or education IRA.)
9. Review estate planning and update your will or trust.
10. Start planning now to avoid income tax suprises next year.
Source: Lane Financial & Dew Wealth Management